Career Center Specialists
The primary function of the Career Center Specialist (CCS) is to serve as the main contact for the University Career Center (UCC) and provide quality customer service in person, on the phone, and via email. The CCSs provide warm and friendly customer service while staffing the reception desk at the UCC. As a CCS, not only will you communicate regularly with students but also with our career center staff to help connect students to resources and opportunities.
CSSs serve as a vital direct link between the UCC and students who are seeking career assistance. CSSs assist students who walk into the career center with questions and direct them to the resources they need. CCSs also schedule appointments for students with the career coaches. In addition, CCSs help provide career opportunities for their fellow Jayhawks by postings jobs and internships in KU Career Connections (our career management system) and give thoughtful feedback on resumes through the Resume Dropbox.
- Greet students and visitors, answer the phone and schedule appointments with career coaches
- Assist students with finding career resources in the library and registering for career center services
- Assist the career center staff with special projects including mailings, marketing projects, updating career information, and posting jobs and internships in our career management system
- Review resumes submitted to the Resume Dropbox via our website
- Assist with campus career and networking events such as University Career Fair, Internship Fair, Education Interview Day, and Etiquette Dinners
- Additional opportunities include involvement in Delta Epsilon Iota, our career focused honor society, and Student Marketing Advisory Council, our student marketing focus group
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials
- Friendly and outgoing personality; desire to help others
- Basic computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Available to work during the academic year at least 8-12 hours per week, depending on class schedule and availability during work week
- Ability to commit to working for an entire academic school year or longer
- Have and maintain a 3.0 overall GPA
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Experience in an office setting or in a customer service role
- A team player who can work effectively with others
- Dependable and reliable
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn; a positive attitude
- Ability to follow through and complete tasks and assignments
Any questions about the position can be directed to Megan Bahm, 785-864-3694, firstname.lastname@example.org.