The KU School of Music offers a BA, BM, and BFA in several academic disciplines, including brass and percussion, jazz, music theory and composition, musicology, organ, piano, strings, theatre and voice, voice, woodwinds, and music business, as well as a MM, MME, DMA, and PhD.
Sample of Related Skills
- Hear, identify, and work with musical elements: rhythm, pitch, harmony, structure, timbre, texture
- Read and realize musical notation fluently
- Recognize and articulate an understanding of compositional process and musical style with reference to artists, technologies, events, and cultural forces through the major periods of music history
- Use research tools and analysis independently to develop, defend, and write musical judgments
- Demonstrate technical, musical, and interpretive skill in solo and ensemble performance, in a variety of formal and informal settings
- Develop familiarity with an appropriately representative body of solo and ensemble music literature, and an awareness of applicable performance practices
- Perform capably as a soloist and within an ensemble
- Organize the sounds of music through basic composition
Popular Career Paths
Performance: Involves conducting, playing an instrument, and/or singing.
Business: Includes managing artists, negotiating contracts, and arranging events/performances for musicians.
Education: Could involve private instruction and/or teaching music in a school setting.
Explore More Career Paths
- American Musicological Society - professional organization that provides music related career information
Jobs to Consider
Places to Seek Employment
Armed Forces Bands and Orchestras
Clubs and Restaurants
Community Choral Groups
Radio, Television, and Motion Picture Industries
Rock or Jazz Groups
Self-Employed/Small Business Owner
View specific employers by state.
Job and Internship Search Resources
- Acoustical Society of America - society dedicated to increasing knowledge of acoustics and its applications. Offers a job search function, as well as graduate school information.
- American Federation of Musicians Career Corner - association representing professional musicians. Offers a comprehensive career information for emerging musicians, as well as other scholarship information
- Chorus America - non-profit organization for choral music. Promotes professional, volunteer, and youth choruses. Provides a listing of choral industry job openings
- Entertainment Careers.net - search for jobs and internships at studios, networks, production companies, record companies, TV and radio stations, VFX, animation, and broadcasting
- League of American Orchestras - search for internships in the music performance field
- Media Web Source - search for music jobs and other related careers
- Musical Chairs - search for performance, teaching, and administration jobs in classical music
- Music Job - search for music jobs in the United Kingdom, Germany, Brazil, and the United States
- Music Resources on the Internet - provides a list of links to music related careers such as classical, commercial, folk, and jazz resources
- MusicianWages.com - search for job vacancies such as pianists, guitarists, drummers, bassists, bands, music teacher, horns, and more. Also provides information on musician resumes, business cards, and how to obtain a job on a cruise ship
- MyMusicJob.com - search for jobs in music across the United States
- Orchestral Jobs - search for orchestral jobs around the world
- ShowBizJobs.com - job search function for finding a job in the entertainment business
The quick link for this page is career.ku.edu/performance.
Go back to Careers & KU Majors homepage.